Skip to main content

Knitting Needles Sizes and Materials

This will be the last post pertaining to needles, and I think I hear a subtle "thank goodness" from some of my readers.  Let's start with the wide variety of materials used to make knitting needles.

The oldest of knitting needles were made from wood stakes sharpened at one or both ends.  Two problems with wooden needles are their weight and potential for splinters.  Some needle manufacturers continue to use wood but have found lighter weight wood and finishes that greatly reduce potential splintering.  (See the rather colourful wooden DPNs by Options Harmony below.)  Bamboo has become a recent newcomer to wooden needles because of its abundance and very light weight.


Beautiful wooden DPNs
Needles are also made from metal generally aluminium; and it is metal needles that add the click, click, clicking to one's knitting.  Metal needles are very strong, meaning they aren't apt to warp over time like wood or plastic needles.  Having said that they have one drawback, stitches will easily slide off metal needles because unlike wooden and even certain plastic needles, both of which can have a rough exterior, metal needles have a very smooth, shiny and thus slippery finish.  This characteristic generally doesn't bother a more experienced knitter, but it can cause all sorts of problems for a new knitter.  (Dropped stitches can wreak havoc for newbies.)

Three shiny metal SPNs

Finally there are plastic needles.  These needles offer some improvements over the other two types.  They are lighter in weight and don't splinter and yet lack (generally) the overall slipperiness of metal needles.  Their biggest flaw is warping over time.  I inherited several plastic DPNs from my Grandma Perry, and I have to say they are some of my favorites.  Many of her needles are 60-80 years old now and the plastic on a few of them has become brittle meaning during use they can simply snap in two.  Here is one of the red pair of Grandma's needles I used recently.  (I don't often colour coordinate needles with projects, it just turned out that way.)


And finally there is the entire issue of knitting needle size, which truth be known was the entire reason for my getting into a needle discussion in the first place.  As you can tell many of us inherit needles and often inherit "old" knitting patterns with them.  The problem with this is there has yet to be developed a standard for sizing needles.  The U.S., Canada, Australia and UK (all generally English speaking countries) use different sizing measures.  Additionally there are also slight variances in sizes from one manufacturer of knitting needles to another.  Here's a chart I found that helps punch this point home and another including an Australian sizing chart.

So what's a knitter to do about this confusion?  First always, always swatch.  Making a swatch is something most of us hate to do because it takes time away from real knitting.  But if the knitter doesn't take time at the start to make sure the gauge of the pattern and the gauge his/her own knitting match, there can be disappointment when the project is complete.  (More on my recent problem caused by not bothering to swatch soon.)  Second, it helps to own a needle size gauge like this one.


For just a couple of bucks or loonies one can immediately check on the actual size of a needle using a card like the one above.  The only suggestion I have to offer when using this card is that the entire circumference of the knitting needle needs to fit through the hole of the card, if only the tip fits the needle is the next size up.  (Geez, I hope I don't get shutdown for such talk!)

At any rate there you have it, all I have to say now about knitting needles.  I said I would:  be discussing each type of needle, when each type of needle can be best used and offer a few tips to keep in mind as you make your needle selection.  There will also be a discussion about the materials used to make them and how that impacts your choice.  Finally, the dreaded matter of getting the right sized needle for your project will be covered.   And to the best of my ability I think I've fulfilled that promise.  Now I encourage you to go pick up some needles and start knitting.  Practice makes all these details second nature.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4