Skip to main content

A Knitting Lifeline

A lifeline can be a life saver and it just might be the technique I need to use to help the False Creek Cowl and I make amends.  According to Heart Strings Fiber ArtsA lifeline in knitting is a temporary thread inserted through a row of stitches. The knitting lifeline serves as a checkpoint if we have a calamity and need to rip out and re-do several rows. 

See the white lifeline.  This is a relatively complicated lace and a very appropriate use for the lifeline 

This technique is most often used when knitting lace to help the knitter avoid having to frog an entire project because it is so difficult to pick up yarn over and knit-2-together stitches.  (Like I said the lace in False Creek Cowl is simple, but perhaps not simple enough for me.  Just using a lifeline could have saved me all that wasted effort.)

A lifeline is pretty easy to use.  See this video for the specifics of the technique.  The key ideas to remember:
  1. The lifeline should be done in a contrasting colour yarn or some recommend using dental floss because it is small/thin and slippery.
  2. Don't mistakenly catch any of the live stitches in the lifeline.  The lifeline should be easy to pull out with the live stitches left right on the needle.
  3. Keep in mind if you are using stitch markers to not slip them through the lifeline.  (See the picture below.)  If you do, the stitch marker can't be moved because it is being held in place by the lifeline.
  4. Move the lifeline up as you continue to knit.  As you create more error free work you want to celebrate that success by moving the lifeline.  This will cut back on how far you have to tnik in order to eliminate your error.
  
See how the lifeline goes underneath the stitch marker.  If the lifeline went through the center of the marker, the marker couldn't be moved when the next row is knit; it would be held in place by the lifeline along with all the other stitches.  
So there it is a very simple solution to my False Creek Cowl problem.  Perhaps I will pick it up before Xmas, perhaps.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4