Skip to main content

"Knitting Holds the Hours of My Life"

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee in the foreword to her book, The Secret Life of a Knitter:  Yarn Harlot, said "Each knitted gift holds hours of my life."  And today while I laboured on Labour Day that statement really struck me.  Let me clarify.

Some of those hours are spent finding the right yarn.  Every yarn I purchase brings with it an inspiration.  It could be the colour as it often is when knitting food, or it can be the feel of the yarn, some being so soft you know you'll enjoy the entire time you work with it.  Or it might be that you can "see" the final product done up in this yarn.  So the yarn already carries certain power over me before I pick up the needles.

Some of those hours are spent locating the right pattern.  Patterns speak to me in much the same way as yarn does.  The intrigue of trying a new technique, or the pure simplicity of the technique, or finding that perfect substitute yarn for a beloved pattern or knowing the way the final product will make someone feel once "it" is done are all magical.  (Sometimes the magic can wear thin when the technique is more than you can muster, but I'll stop here as to not break the ethereal picture I'm trying to paint here.)

Some of those hours are spent purely in a version of bliss.  The gift receiver can also be particularly motivational in helping to create the end result.  As the two afghans were being knit for my sons and their then soon-to-be wives I could think about the upcoming weddings, of their lives together, and reflect on how the completed afghan could become a part of that new home.  These two afghans truly did ". . . hold hours of my life."  And I'd like to think a little bit of me is there with them, even now.

The little green kimono sweater I started watching Dad work through his time at the hospital certainly defined hours of my life (if only to me), even though the person receiving it will have no idea what special hold that sweater has for me. 

The Green Kimono as it is so far; not a great week for knitting
The gray blossom and yellow kimono sweaters both were created during the extra free time I had in July and August as Paul travelled.   They were like friends at the time.  Again, only I will fully understand the happy hours of my life dedicated to their creation.

Stephanie puts it so much better than I can.  "I know it looks just like a hat, but really, it's four hours at the hospital, six hours on the bus, two hours alone at four in the morning when I couldn't sleep because I tend to worry.  It is all those hours when I chose to spend time warming another person.  It's giving them my time--time I could have spent on anything, or anyone, else.  Knitting is love, looped and warm."

That sums it up perfectly.  A gift knitted, when given by a knitter and not only this knitter, is a gift made out of love all looped and warm.  It might not always completely convey that message as clearly as it should but it is most assuredly the intent.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4