Skip to main content

BC Day & Blossom Sweater Done

It is another long weekend here in British Columbia.  Today's BC Day which seems to commemorate two things:  1) recognizing the pioneers of British Columbia and 2) the passing of an Act by the Parliament of the UK which changed British Columbia from a colony.  I think people just use it as one last fling of summer and get outside by camping, hiking and spending time next to water.  (Does it seem like we have a lot of three-day weekends in BC in the summer?  Yes, it does for me too.)


So with this extra day I worked on completing the flapped Blossom Sweater.  Here it is all done up (sans blocking).



As you can see I've dressed it up a bit.  The red buttons are mimicked by the spider webs I learned to make last weekend.  Random placement of the red, yellow and blue circles help to keep this sweater whimsical, or at least that's what I'm trying to achieve by adding them.  The piece de resistance is the red edging.  This is my own contribution to the pattern and inspired by the yarn.  I simply single crocheted around all the edges.  By doing so, the yoke or flap has now become quite prominent.

I do like its unique design.  Undue all four buttons and you have a large space within which to get the baby's head and once that far the arms will follow.  I find the easier a baby sweater is to button up the better; babies tend to be squirmy when it comes to getting dressed.

As I said before this pattern was purchased from The Yarn Garden in Gig Harbor, Washington.  The store doesn't seem to have much of a web present and it holds the copyright for this pattern so that perhaps explains why I haven't seen anything coming close to this design anywhere else.

Now on to finishing some of those abandoned projects.  After I wrote about my problem with multiple projectitist I started searching throughout my storage room to find all the projects that had been started and then left on their own before completion.  I now know why I didn't list all of them, there are far too many for me to  remember.  Thus I do need to finish some of these items up before I move on to yet another new piece.  Oh, that limiting of freedom to choose; it is the price I'll have to pay for not finishing what I've started before. Here's my sad face regarding this turn of events.  :-(


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4