Skip to main content

Patience Learned through Knitting

I am openly an impatient person.  Ask anyone who knows me and they will attest to the fact that I am not as patient as I need to be sometimes, OK maybe all the time.  Any patience I have developed has come from knitting, and perhaps aging, but we'll stick with the knitting theme for the purposes of this post.

Knitting teaches one that by manipulating two (or three or four or five) sticks and some string it is possible with persistence and patience to create beautiful things.  I have had to start with small projects, scarves, mini socks, toques (caps), and sweaters before I was patient enough to tackle bigger projects, like an afghan or two.  Throughout the last 10 or more years of near obsession with knitting I have learned that taking one stitch at a time and staying persistence does result in a completed project, even a big one.  But you'll note I continue to tend toward smaller projects, so perhaps I have yet to completely learn the lessons knitting has to offer. 

Pursuing patience and persistence is not only a good lesson to keep in mind for knitting, it is great for life as well.  Thus for those of us who own and operate a Type A personality, knitting can be that daily reminder to relax, take things slowly and just stick with it.  Getting frustrated in knitting as well as in life, generally does not improve the situation.  If things don't go your way, assess the current situation and adjust. With knitting that might mean ripping out a few rows or the entire project, or more appropriately assessing your current skills and attention span.  There's little point in trying to take on something you're skill set is not quite ready for, in my case that's lace.  The reassessing can mean a whole lot of different things in life.  Bottom line though is to stay calm and relaxed and focus on the end result without becoming some kind of zealot about it.  It is so much easier if you are enjoying the process and not singularly focusing on the end result.  Or perhaps it is just me who finds it necessary to remember to make the getting there enjoyable.

I did some math to prove my point.  Here's my completed kimono baby sweater and a close up of the flower motif (I had mentioned buttons, then rethought the user and eliminated them.)

Completed yet to be blocked Kimono made with Cascade Cotton Yarn

Close up of the Flower Motif

I estimate there are approximately 10,150 stitches that make up this project, done one stitch at a time.  (Remember, this is a very small project.)  It took me 6 days to complete, but keep in mind I do have a day job so I  didn't knit more than 3-4 hours per night.  And last week I did not knit on two nights because 1) I had other things to do and 2) it was just too hot.  So for discussion purposes this sweater took me about 17 hours to complete.  I also embroidered the daisies, something new for me; they only took an hour in total to do. (I have embroidered before.)  One patient stitch at a time, amounting to approximately 600/hour or 10 per minute.  Not a very fast pace, but that includes the 136 stitches I picked up around the entire edge of the sweater and the 44 picked up for each sleeve.  This picking up process takes longer than straight knitting.  It also includes the hour of doing the embroidery, something I have to admit required watching Kristin Nicholas' videos over and over, especially for the Fern Leaves.  (The Fern Leaves require that you are thinking ahead by one stitch, that's not quite intuitive enough for me, but I did manage to follow the instructions pretty well for this sweater!)  Here's the URL to watch her three videos:  1) the Spider Web centres, 2) the Lazy Daisy flowers and 3) the Fern Leaves stitch.  

Moral of the story:  Driven people, try knitting, it could help improve your life!  (Oh my, am I back to knitting as therapy again?)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4