Skip to main content

May Long Weekend Fun

Canadians celebrated what we generally call the May Long Weekend on May 19-21.  It means most banks, schools and businesses other than those who do retail selling were closed.  Some in the States call it Canada's version of Memorial Weekend, but that is not quite right.  It originated to commemorate Queen Victoria's birthday, which is actually May 24. (She ruled the UK from 1837 to 1901, BTW.)   Like most modern celebrations rather than hold the holiday on the proper day of the week we opt to hold it on the Monday that falls before May 24.  And like the States' Memorial Weekend, it too marks the start of summer.

Paul and I decided to make it a four-day weekend and headed south like many of our fellow Canadians to Seattle.  However, there was a bit of knitting business I did as we drove down.  As I was noodling around all my favorite knitting websites I found an events section that announced the following:  May 17-20 LYS Tour - Destination Yarn 2012, Puget Sound.  I clicked on the website and found there were 21 local yarn shops in the Pacific Northwest, all along the I-5 corridor, opening their doors longer than normal so I could shop in (Freudian slip if I ever saw one, so I'll leave it as I wrote it) and look around.  For this I would get a free pattern, different at each shop, and 10% off the corresponding yarn to make the pattern, if I chose to buy during the tour.

This was marketed as a Yarn Crawl.  I just wish I could duplicate the laugh my son, Dack, had about the term Yarn Crawl.  He was truly tickled by the fact there was such a thing.  I'm putting words in his mouth, but my guess is his familiarity with a Crawl most likely includes Pubs, so a Yarn Crawl would be nothing like that experience which I believe contributed to his amusement.  Once he stopped laughing I was able to tell him the Crawl ran from Birch Bay on the north end of I-5 all the way to Renton south of Seattle.  Lucky for me Paul was happy to sit in the car and read as I shopped in two locations, one in Mt. Vernon, located in an old jail, and another in Everett.  Each shop has it own special things going on and I really enjoyed looking around.  But alas, I knew I would be stopping/shopping on Monday in the mother of all LYS in my region so I held my spending to a bare minimum.

During the weekend we had fun in Seattle, taking in a play, movie, Verdi concert and a wine tasting tour plus we ate some fine meals too.  And lest you think I slowed down on the knitting, here's an update on that second Gramps sweater.  Don't look too closely, the buttons aren't sewn on, the loose threads need to be woven into the garment and it needs a good blocking, otherwise it is done!  All I need is an hour and it too will be fully complete.


Girl's Gramps version 2.0 almost done
 So on Monday, I gave Paul a break from having to wait for me at yarn shops and headed to Little Knits in West Seattle alone.  The shop is located on a retail street and has a rather unassuming store front.  And like all the other yarn shops I have visited it was displaying lovely quality yarns.  The big difference was their prices.  Brand name yarns at Little Knits can be 50% to 70% less than you find it priced elsewhere.  A colleague of mine told me about their website and that if you spent $125 they'd ship for free, even into Canada.  (Their shipping free policy for CA is now $250.)  But I'm old fashion, I like to look and feel yarn I'm going to work with so I decided to visit in person.  (Besides the website is a bit clunky to use. Some technical help from a web designer could really improve the browsing capacity of their site.)

In an hour and one half I found enough yarn for 2 adult sweaters, one baby sweater and a pair of socks.  No, I wouldn't have gotten free shipping to Canada, but I did put a dent in my wallet.  Knowing I'd have to declare all purchases at the border over $400, I did keep myself in check.

Carlie, I know you will soon be leaving us for bigger and better things, but thanks for putting me on to Little Knits.  My creativity thanks you profusely; my budget, well it has other less complimentary things to wish you.  I tend to listen to my creativity almost always, so thank you very much.  I will be finding my way to Little Knits whenever I need that special yarn at a great price.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4