Skip to main content

Knitting Personality Test

I have long been a fan of the Myers Briggs Type Indicator Test (MBTI).  (For those who want some basic info about the MBTI and a critical review of it do follow the hyperlink above.)  The results of the test categorizes personalities into one of 16 types and gives users a way to talk about differences in people without using loaded, derogatory or demeaning language.  I have used it successfully as a tool in my personal as well as my professional life.    Should you wish to find out your own MBTI type check out this site and take the test.

When an article came to my attention stating I could take a knitting personality test I jumped right on it.  A chat post on the Knitting Paradise site stated someone had found a knitting personality test and was rated a Contented Knitter.  If you are a knitter who would like to take the very short test go to:  http://www.knittingbrain.com/ and look for the knitting personality link.  (It takes just moments to complete.)

It appears you can be either a Contented, Logical or Artistic knitter.  As you might expect I fell into the Artistic knitter realm, and this is what it advised me about my knitting personality with my commentary added in parentheses:

You have a flair for combining colours and patterns (This is a developing trait for me).  You approach your knitting in an intuitive way and you're not afraid to experiment (Yes, I don't always follow the pattern, true).  Your knitting is stylish and striking ( Is food really stylish and striking??).  You probably have a weakness for novelty yarns and a stash of yarns you bought on impulse (OK, have they been reading this blog and checking behind my closed doors?  Yes, this is very true).

Your impulsive approach can sometimes lead you into difficulties.  Invest in a good knitting reference book, getting quick answers to your technical problems will leave you free to be more creative.  (I had to invest in that good reference book years ago and now with the internet and on-line videos, I'm able to solve almost all my knitting conundrums quickly.)

If you are looking for inspiration check out the work of other artistic knitters such as Kaffe Fassett or look at the latest styles in Vogue Knitting (Designer Knitting).  (Kaffe Fassett has been known for decades in developing beautifully coloured knitting yarns, cloth fabrics and other artistic realms like tiles.  If you'd like to see a sample of his work check out these Fassett gallery photos.)  You'll probably love the possibilities for using colour in Knitting Swirl! by Sandra McIver.  (OK this seems like a plug for this book, but hey everything has been free up to this point with regard to info.  I'll allow them this singular outright promo.)

Felted knitting is another way to add an extra dimension to your knitting, you can really let your imagination go wild. (I'm still working on my felting skills, but perhaps I'm a natural for it.)

So there it is, I'm an artistic knitter.  That helps explain why the logic necessary in certain patterns might frustrate me and why at times my knitting doesn't make me as content as it might other types of knitters.  I feel better knowing this about my approach to knitting.  Thanks Knitting Brain for clearing that up for me.

As for the Gramps sweater version 2.0, here's today's photo update.  Just have to add the ribbing for the buttons, the cowl collar and the sleeves!  All the heavy lifting of picking up approximately 150 stitches around the front sides and back of the sweater is already done.


It was still quite sunny even at 6:30 pm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4