Skip to main content

Knitting Chat Rooms

I have been following knitting chats for some time and unlike other chat rooms I have yet to read anything that remotely smacks of an outburst or insult.  Kntting chats contain kindnesses to knitters from around the world, all of whom seem genuinely interested in supporting others whether they are beginners or experts at the craft.  The most derogatory comments focus on those retailers who sell yarn or knitting related accessories that don't live up to their hype or price.

Paul follows a number of news and political sites and I, at times, follow along.  The banter on these sites in comparison is disquieting for me.  They seem at times to contain demeaning, argumentative and hateful language.  I'm much more comfortable in the supportive atmosphere of knitters.


Here's an example of a recent post in one of the chat rooms I follow written by a knitter in the UK:

Last Friday I had day surgery (cataract ) and guessing there would be some waiting around took a knitting project with me.

I am so glad I did as I met this wonderful family - mum, dad and delightful 6 year old twins who came to drop off their dad on their way to school. Well they wanted to know what I was doing, what I was making, how I put it all together, could they touch the wool (eyelash) and so it went on. As it happened I was making barbie doll clothes and had some finished ones in my bag which I showed them. I heard all about their dolls, where they were going on holiday, all about their grandparents -as you can imagine the time flew past and after they had gone off to school I asked their father if he would like to take an outfit each home for them as a surprise. He was so grateful and commented how this had turned his day around.


Apart from making his day it made mine too - I hope they will be knitters of the future.

Sure this is a bit mushy but knitters from around the world commented how nice it was that this woman was willing to share her final products with mere strangers, how acts of kindness like this work for the good of both the giver and receiver, and of course included several other similar stories.
 
So if anyone reading this would like to avoid what can be blood pressure raising commentary in certain chat rooms, find a knitting or for that matter any crafting chat.  You may be bored but your overall improved peace of mind may very well thank you for the change. 
 

Comments

  1. Amen! Well said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is anybody know about knitting?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need some help for explaining to me. My question is k1, yo, k to marker, yo, slip marker. My option is knit 1, yarn over, knit then put slip marker, yarn over then put slip marker. Hope that someone can explaining to me. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anony:

    So what this is telling you to do is knit 1, yarn over and then knit to the marker. Remove the marker, yarn over and then place the marker at this new point. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am looking for a really good 18month year old boys jacket

    ReplyDelete
  6. Try Ravelry. It is a website for knitters. Odds are you'll find something that works for you

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am new to knitting, I have this patter that says, to pw4w, got that, but the next row says DWS:drop with slip: slip the stitch with the extra wraps purlwise, dropping the extra wraps. There will be a single elongate stitch? Dont understand. Thiink I messed up my piece, What is this and how do I do it correctley

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4