Skip to main content

It's Good to Get Out of the House

So this weekend, I drove to Seattle to pick up Paul.  We got in town with just enough time for me to run into my favorite Seattle LYS (local yarn shop) before it closed.   I try to stay away from yarn shops because I have a SABLE (stash acquirement beyond life expectancy).   In other words I need no more new yarn since I own six boxes full of yarn already.  But this shop is so cute I can't help myself and the artfully arranged shelves of colourful yarn gives me great pleasure.

My tape yarn (at least new to me)

Fortunately or unfortunately I found the yarn above.  As you can see it is really a webbed tape and not a yarn at all.  Since I wasn't sure what to do with it, I asked and the helpful shop owner showed me a rather lovely scarf  and give me the easy instructions to make it.

Using a #8 or 5 mm needle pick up 8 stitches along one side of the tape.  Then cast off those 8 stitches using stitches you pick up on the same side of the tape and continue casting on and off in that order  Here's a video that shows you in detail what to do:

The pattern on the video is a variation of what I'm doing, but it does give you an idea of how to pick up the stitches you need to knit.


The scarf it makes

In my version the yarn twists and turns itself into a rather ruffly looking scarf.  It is a fun and fast project that was worth busting my stash for.  Thanks to my nearly LYS for inspiring me with new "yarn".  It is good to get out of the house and find new things, just as long as you don't buy too much new yarn.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms...

Gosling's Meme and Knitting

What is a meme, you may first ask? Well Dr. Richard Dawkins, an evolutionary biologist, came up with the idea in the late 1970's and stated something like: a meme is to a society what a gene is to a human. Both are an element or unit that can be replicated or passed from one individual to another. During the Internet age memes can be easily shared, replicated or otherwise passed on to another. Recent examples can be found on Gawker . Memes can include piano playing cats, a honey badger, the Call Me Maybe phenomenon and so on. The political campaign in the U.S. helped fuel memes using some of the most unusual statements like, "binders of women" and "you didn't build that." A few memes have staying power but most have a relatively short life span. Gosling's meme related to knitting has been around for some time; so when I again saw another post about him recently, it was time to figure out the origin. Ryan Gosling is a Canadian actor born in Onta...

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right! ...